Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Songs I Love to Sing


Come to the river
Play in the water
And drink of forever
And be free

There’s a rest for the weary
And relief for the hurting
So come to river and be healed

How beautiful the water’s blue
As you let them rush over you
Say goodbye to everything
That silenced the songs you loved to sing
In the River
Come to the River, the River of peace

Come to this river
And join in the laughter
And dream of whatever, whatever makes you smile
Won’t you come stay awhile

How beautiful the water’s blue
As you let them rush over you
Say goodbye to everything
That silenced the songs you loved to sing
In the River, Come to the River…

How beautiful the water’s blue
As you let them rush over you
Say goodbye to everything
That silenced the songs you loved to sing
In the River, Come to the River of Peace

The River by Ronnie Freeman

I'm thirsty. Are you? Because of the intesity of this season of my life - the pressure of securing a job, the stress of performing that job, and the fatigue of coming home after a day at the job - I didn't know I was really thirsty. I knew something was amiss, but I didn't know what. Depression? Loneliness? Fatigue? Sadness? Meaning? Who knew, I surely didn't.

But as I've worked the "docks" along the riverside, I've started hearing the voice of the river - ever so slightly - and it's calling to come enjoy. To enjoy the deeper, more mystical side of it's feel and flow. To experience the power found when I "go with the flow". To receive it's healing and refreshing touch as get in one toe at a time or "canonball" style. To know it's depth of love and grace as it revives in my soul the songs I love to sing.

I feel like it's been awhile since I have been able to sing of beauty and meaning. To be honest, I'm a little scared...ok...more than a little, a lot. But I really do want to sing again with every ounce of breath that God has given to me. And that time will come. I will find my voice again. I will find my song.

So for now (and for as long as I have this side of heaven), I'll be content to hum - hum for the lives of my wife and kids, hum for my family, and home for my friends and spiritual family that I live in community with each and every day. The song will come, I don't see it or hear it yet, but it will come. Just keep humming, just keep humming, humming, humming, humming...

"For surely, O Lord, you bless the righteous; you suround them with your favor as with a shield." Psalm 5:12
"I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord." Psalm 40:1-3


No comments:

The Hunger Site

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Locations of visitors to this page Add to Technorati Favorites