Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I'd Rather Have Jesus

I'm going to admit something here that I have never shared with anyone else other than my wife. Ready? Here it is:

I'm a closet Gaither music fan.

There I said it. It's out there. If it's on PBS, TBS, Mtv, VH1 or wherever, I'm usually watching it or flipping back to it if I'm also watching something else. Whew...I feel so much better now! Can we can move on.

So tonight I am relaxin' on the couch when I flip by this Gaither promo advertising one of their dvd/cd collections when the song "I'd Rather Have Jesus" is being highlighted by the vocals of the Crabb Family singers. You can click here on the link to see the performance.

Well, I was completely surprised by the Holy Spirit in this moment to the point of tears. These lyrics by Rhea F. Miller and music by George Beverly Shea overwhelmed me and resounded in my soul. Here are the words:

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Refrain:
Than to be the king of a vast domain,
Or be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
I’d rather be true to His holy name

He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead

I so want these lyrics to be true of my living, breathing, and loving. I want my bank account to reflect these heart cries and realities. I want those around me - near and far from Jesus - to see these words in me. I want my values and behaviors to find soil in truths like this.

So for the next few days or so, this poem/song is going to be the springboard for prayer in the mornings as I drive to work. From there, may my life and, if necessary, words invite others to move deeper with Jesus and/or wonder what it means to "rather have my Jesus" than anything.


No comments:

The Hunger Site

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Locations of visitors to this page Add to Technorati Favorites