Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sign of the Apocalypse

Potbellies unite! Just when I started losing mine, the "beer gut" became hip. I was ahead of my time and didn't even know it. This clearly is a sign of Jesus coming back or at the minimum, Jenny Craig.

Here's a taste (pun intended) of the NY Times article:

“I sort of think the six-pack abs obsession got so prissy it stopped being masculine,” is how Aaron Hicklin, the editor of Out, explains the emergence of the Ralph Kramden. What once seemed young and hot, for gay and straight men alike, now seems passé. Like manscaping, spray-on tans and other metrosexual affectations, having a belly one can bounce quarters off suggests that you may have too much time on your hands.


“It’s not cool to be seen spending so much time fussing around about your body,” Mr. Hicklin said.


And so guys can happily and guiltlessly go to seed.

And here is a reaction from a woman's website:

If the New York Times says “it’s hip to be round,” it must be true. According to the paper of record, it is officially cool for dudes to “rock a potbelly.” I’ve always been a secret fan of a well-rounded pot, and I’ve seen several of these burgeoning guts this summer with my own eyes, jiggling in all of their glory around the hip streets of Brooklyn, New York. I mean, who am I to judge? I’m rocking my own little “hot pot.” The day potbellies become trendy for the ladies is the day that pigs fly. But, seriously, why are our dudes getting porky? The hilarious theories after the jump.


  • Shirts are cut too small. Good point, but we know you’re buying a medium instead of a large to show off that pot!
  • Men need to have that extra layer to metaphorically “protect” themselves from all the women in the work place. Not buying this one.
  • In ironic opposition to the hotness of Obama. It’s true. It’s hard to live up to his superhero status. So, if McCain were elected, would our dudes be slimming down?
  • The recession. Stress increases stomach fat. Comfort foods. All very possible.
  • It’s too “metro” to be in shape. Kind of agree. I’m not really looking for a guy who spends more time at the gym than me.
How are you doing at rocking that apocalyptic potbelly?

No comments:

The Hunger Site

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Locations of visitors to this page Add to Technorati Favorites