Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, June 20, 2009

If I Don't Have Love

Today (technically yesterday - it's almost 2:00am) I saw love. Tonight on the last night of Vacation Bible School (VBS) at the church we attend, Far Hills Community Church, I saw love.

I was in the pre-school age kids' program time, where they learned about a young boy/man, named David who was guy after God's own heart. To set up the drama, the VBS team had some kid appropriate songs for this age a rockin' volume. But at one point early on in the music/worship set, a little boy in the back started freaking out.

He was screaming and crying as if he had been dropped on his head. The leader/volunteer that was assigned specifically to him (for he's a kid with special needs) pulled him into her lap and tried to comfort him by rocking him back and forth, back and forth. Nothing worked. I was thinking that it was time to get him out. He was annoying ALL the other children, but mostly just ME!

After a few minutes of unsuccessfully trying to calm him down she FINALLY walked him out of the room. It's was about time. Let's hope she doesn't try and bring him back because that is annoying.

But in just a few minutes there she and that little boy came, back into the room to enjoy the music. But this time with decorated fabric which she used to cover his ears with in order for him to enjoy the time with his friends and learn about God.

You see he probably has SPD. Sensoring Processing Disorder where touch or sound can send kids into a fit. And, yet, there was this woman with gentleness in her touch, patience in her spirit, and compassion in her heart sitting with cloth napkins over this boys ears for 20 minutes swaying gently to the beat.

Why? What makes someone want to do this? Because she has love. A love that says I'll do whatever it takes to help you understand that I care about you. And nothing - I mean NOTHING - will get in the way of my love for you. Whatever it takes. Whatever the cost.

You see, lots of times I lead people because that gives me power. I teach people because they stroke my ego. I care for people because other notice me and tell others that they noticed me.

What we the Church need more of...well, what I need more of...is love. I am so thankful to God for people like this and what they do for no other reason than pure, simple, sweet love. What they do for children who are hard for me to love. What they do for adults like me who have hard hearts about serving from a place of love. And mostly what Jesus invites me to be and partake in: pure, simple, sweet love.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." - Paul of Tarsus (1 Corinthians 13:1-2)

No comments:

The Hunger Site

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Locations of visitors to this page Add to Technorati Favorites